PK Weekly Newsletter

General discussion about everything and anything about Prehistoric Kingdom

PK Weekly Newsletter

Postby DinoSteve93 » Sun May 08, 2016 12:13 pm

Welcome to the project's weekly newsletter, where every Sunday we will try to update you each week with the development progress done in that respective week, so make sure to check this topic regularly as the OP will be updated!

This forum blog begins with the week starting in the 2nd of May 2016

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Development summary from 02/05/2016 - 08/05/2016

This week's development's been relying all on dinosaur AI, as we are busy on overhauling the system:

-animals now have different property values such as speed, aggression and threat values, even though we plan to add more;

-An alpha system has been successfully implemented: basing on the aggression index (the most aggressive individual), a certain alpha individual is created within the herd, controlling all animals within the herd. In normal instances, these animals will carry their own business, however when threatened, they will follow the alpha as they flee, making up for pretty spectacular flocking formations (comparable to a school of fish);

-We began fleshing out the hunting system: thanks to variable sprint speeds and perception radius, a T.rex is able to reach a Gallimimus herd for a short while. Prey picking makes it all more spectacular, as the predator chooses to chase the closest prey to it, meaning the slowest individuals in the ecosystem get eliminated (All individuals in a species have randomized speeds within min. and max. limits);

EDIT: Forgot to mention it, but we also got rid of foot sliding problems and implemented turning animations for both T.rex and Gallis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Development summary from 09/05/2016 - 15/05/2016

Most of last week's progress can't be used (we still got turning animations though). Last week I said I'd explain why, so here we go: our friend Victor came up with a quick solution for the AI, which involved developing it using TheArchoTeckProject's AI as a base. He got nice progress over the week, but sadly we had to reject it, as his intent was to use it in both games. As much as we understand that, there are several legal issues involved, so we didn't want to take the risk. We still got our AI though, which, being more complex, will take more time to finish than Victor's AI.

Now, down to progress. Not much notable progress this week, as we've been looking for a solution for a common online platform to upload and download our builds to and from. We've tried a couple of things so far, but a client of FTP still looks like the best way to go for us, for the moment at least. At least, the project is now much cleaner and tidier, as it went from over 25GB in size to little more than 11 (keep in mind that's the editor size, not the build's, which will likely be drastically smaller in size).

Today, we also got our own Discord server, check it out here: https://discord.gg/0xyK5wxUDDyA0GvS

Development summary from 16/05/2016 - 22/05/2016
On a related note to last week, we began using FTP again to upload and download our files, but it took the whole week to upload it for Matt and download it for me again, so not a whole lot of progress here. However, I know for sure the UI in the build needs some fixing, I need to fix the hatchery menu and I'll also import the interactive map menu I had in an older build.

On the art front, Cindy's been busy texturing a scaly Allosaurus and a revamp of the default featherless T.rex. You can check the former here and the latter when I will update this post with images I still need to take, so stick around!

Development summary from 23/05/2016 - 29/05/2016
While work has been steady on the art and the assets, we (I especially) have encountered some issues with the project's builds that I have. Even though everybody else can open the project and the scenes without any problem, I find the game scenes empty at all times. We don't know what the issue is caused by yet, but we are working on a solution to fix it. This has been discovered this Friday, as I have been busy working on TheArchoTekProject (ATP for short), and another project I'm working on. This means that sadly I wasn't able to do much if anything at all when it comes to PK. I know that Matthew however, is keeping working on tweaking and polishing the project.

When it comes to art however, things get a bit more exciting. Let me first post last week's updated T.rex for anyone that might have missed it:

This week, Cindy has finished the featherless Allosaurus she's been working ever since the stream, and here is the finished product:

Last but not least, work on the Cedar Mountain Formation Chart has been started! We're excited to see it finished, which might happen next week, so stay tuned for that!
I am in charge of how I feel and today I choose happiness. :D

DinoSteve93
Forum Manager

Re: PK Weekly Newsletter

Postby Queztacoatlus » Sun May 08, 2016 12:24 pm

Cool! :D Loving the progress!
Soon enough, those cubes will become gallis :P
Last edited by Queztacoatlus on Sun May 08, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAW!! I am a Quetzalcoatlus!! Fear me!
Queztacoatlus
Velociraptor

Postby DiloRaptor » Sun May 08, 2016 12:31 pm

This looks awesome! :D I have one suggestion. Perhaps you can add a genetic perspective to the property value. For example, if your cloning quality isn't that good, then the creature's traits aren't that good. And perhaps, if two creatures breed, their offsprings' traits will be 40% from one parent, 40% from another parent, and perhaps 20% randomized. I don't know if that is something you were planning on doing, but might be cool to add. Anyway, the progress looks GREAT!
"Deadly destructive, like det-cord plus design refined to a similar brutal simplicity, tiger in the night type symmetry, jungle cat poetic imagery, this is apex predator text." - The Historian Himself
DiloRaptor
Pterandon

Postby Merking » Sun May 08, 2016 12:33 pm

That´s very neat progress. Well done. :D
Can´t wait to see it ingame. ;P
Because my old "avatar" got kind of old.
I like feathers.
Patience is key here, little grasshoper.
Merking
Ankylosaurus

Postby Sniper » Sun May 08, 2016 1:08 pm

How fast will the fastest and slowest T.rex and Gallimimus gonna be?
My blog:http://prehistoric-world.blogspot.hu/

"Now i am become death, the destroyer of worlds"
Sniper

Postby DinoSteve93 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Queztacoatlus wrote:Cool! :D Loving the progress!
Soon enough, those cubes will become gallis :P

Just a matter of replacing model and putting animations in.

DiloRaptor wrote:This looks awesome! :D I have one suggestion. Perhaps you can add a genetic perspective to the property value. For example, if your cloning quality isn't that good, then the creature's traits aren't that good. And perhaps, if two creatures breed, their offsprings' traits will be 40% from one parent, 40% from another parent, and perhaps 20% randomized. I don't know if that is something you were planning on doing, but might be cool to add. Anyway, the progress looks GREAT!

That's in the pans yeah, but if we'd do it after the patch anyway.

Sniper wrote:How fast will the fastest and slowest T.rex and Gallimimus gonna be?

Don't know yet. We'll test things and see how it all plays out.
I am in charge of how I feel and today I choose happiness. :D

DinoSteve93
Forum Manager

Postby Windmiller » Sun May 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Aw mah gawd! AW MAH GAWD! You even added pictures!!! Thank you thank you! This is awesome!! :D
29 miles of the coast of Papua New Guinea...
Death is arbitrary, and once put in an unsurvivable situation, there is only one way left to go...
The sceptical writer of Umboi Park, we'll see how it turns out
Windmiller
Velociraptor

Postby Hardrisaur Hero » Sun May 08, 2016 2:10 pm

All nice stuff. Here's a question though.
Assuming that you have the alpha system in and the AI is currently working, is their any systems for T.rexes to work together to hunt? As in male and females (or any other grouping you decide).
Parasaurolophus, Corythosaurus, Maiasaura, Shantungosaurus, Rhinorex, Iguanadon, Lambeosaurus, Olorotitan, Huehuecanauhtlus
Hardrisaur Hero
Ankylosaurus

Postby Prehistoric ranger » Sun May 08, 2016 4:00 pm

Aggressive galli heh heh.

GINGER REX
"All major theme parks have delays." ~John Hammond.
"Dr. Grant. My dear Dr. Sattler, Welcome to Prehistoric Kingdom." ~ John Hammond
The Elements, a book series coming soon!
Prehistoric ranger
Ankylosaurus

Postby nanorex » Sun May 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Wow, been a while since I've been around here, but saw the facebook post and couldn't resist taking a look; and my god such an improvement! Can't wait for the patch, any idea of timescales?
nanorex
Pterandon

Next

Return to General discussion